When so many dietary supplements are available in the market, it can be challenging to find the ones that have all the essentials we need in one place. Athletic Greens AG1 greens powder is a potential all-in-one solution!
Athletic Greens AG1 is a nutritional powerhouse that contains, aside from vitamins and minerals, a large list of natural ingredients, and organic supplements, all whole-food sourced for their health-promoting benefits. In this article, we cover the complete list of ingredients and the science-backed reasons why they're good for you.
Every Ingredient in Athletic Greens AG1 Listed and Health Benefits
Athletic Greens AG1 contains 75 ingredients which is typically many more than it's key alternatives and competitors. You'll find the standard vitamins and minerals blend with a small amount of protein included in the ingredients. But aside from that, and this is where the supplement really packs a punch, you also have an alkaline raw superfood complex, an extracts, herbs, and antioxidants blend, a digestive enzyme and super mushroom complex, and dairy-free probiotics.
Vitamin, Minerals, and Protein Blend
A daily serving of the AG1 Athletic Greens powder supplement contains 6g of carbohydrates, 2g of dietary fibre, 2g of protein, and less than 1g of sugar. It contains the following vitamins and minerals:
- Biotin (Vitamin B7) - 330mcg
- Folate (as 5-MTHF) - 680mce DFE
- Niacin (Nicotinamide, Nicotinic Acid) - 20mg NE
- Pantothenic Acid (as calcium pantothenate) - 4mg
- Riboflavin (B2) - 2mg
- Thiamine (B1) as thiamine hydrochloride - 3mg
- Vitamin A (as beta-carotene) - 555mcg RAE
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride) - 3mg
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) - 420mg
- Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol succinate) - 83mg
- Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) - 22mcg
- Calcium (as calcium citrate, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate) - 118mg
- Phosphorus (as potassium phosphate, calcium phosphate) - 130mg
- Magnesium (as magnesium glycinate) - 26mg
- Zinc (as zinc citrate) - 15mg
- Selenium (as selenomethionine) - 20mcg
- Copper (as copper gluconate) - 195mcg
- Manganese - 400mcg
- Chromium (as chromium picolinate) - 25mcg
- Sodium - 45mg
- Potassium - 300mg
Vitamins and minerals are nutrients required in small amounts for the body to perform basic functions such as regulating hormones, fighting infection, strengthening the bones, wound healing, and so much more. Bear in mind that unnecessary consumption of large amounts of vitamins and minerals can lead to toxicity. The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health has a guide that you can refer to for the recommended daily intake.
Alkaline Nutrient-Dense Superfood Complex
One serving of Athletic Greens powder contains 7388mg of the "Superfoods Complex." This alkaline and nutrient-dense complex contains:
- Organic spirulina: A blue-green microalgae, spirulina is seen to have extraordinary nutritional value. It's packed with proteins, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Spirulina is associated with numerous benefits, including enhanced immunity, reduced inflammation, improved cardiovascular function, and increased antioxidant activity.
- Lecithin: Lecithin contains fats called phospholipids which have been shown to benefit the brain, nerves, and the various organs in the body. Lecithin is seen to have anti-inflammatory and heart-protective benefits. Early research points to benefits in alleviating the symptoms of early menopause, but more research is needed in this area.
- Organic apple powder: Apples are linked to a lower risk of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. They may help fight asthma, improve your gut health, and protect your brain.
- Inulin (FOS prebiotics): Inulin is a type of soluble fibre commonly found in various plants. It functions like a prebiotic, so it lives in your bowels and helps grow beneficial gut bacteria. Inulin helps keep your bowels functioning well, stabilizes blood sugar levels, lowers cholesterol levels, and reduces the risk of certain types of cancers.
- Organic wheatgrass juice powder extract: Organic wheatgrass juice powder extract comes from the freshly sprouted first leaves of the wheat plant. It's a rich source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, iron, magnesium, calcium, amino acids, and chlorophyll. Studies have shown that wheatgrass juice powder extract may have antioxidant effects, support detoxification, stabilize blood sugar levels, reduce cholesterol, and potentially offer anti-inflammatory properties
- Broccoli flower powder: Broccoli flower powder is composed of dried and ground broccoli florets, which are known for their high nutrient, bioactive, and fibre content. Broccoli contains a compound called sulforaphane, which helps fight cancer. Research indicates that consuming broccoli may also help with sugar control, support a healthy heart and digestion, enhance antioxidant function, and protect against inflammation.
- Organic alfalfa powder: Organic alfalfa powder is derived from the leaves of the alfalfa plant and is a nutrient-dense ingredient. Alfalfa is rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and chlorophyll. Studies suggest that alfalfa consumption may support cardiovascular health, improve blood lipid profiles, enhance liver function, and exhibit potential anti-inflammatory effects
- Organic chlorella powder: Chlorella is green microalgae that, like spirulina, is rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and plant-based proteins. Based on existing research, chlorella may improve cholesterol levels, enhance immune function, and reduce oxidative stress. Chlorella contains a phytonutrient called Sporopollenin, which is known for being a powerful detoxifying agent
- Organic barley leaf powder: Organic barley leaf powder is made from the leaves of the barley plant. Barley leaf powder is a great source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fibre. Based on existing research, barley leaf powder may be beneficial in improving digestion, reducing cholesterol levels, supporting immune function, and decreasing inflammation.
- Acerola fruit juice powder extract: Acerola fruit juice powder extract comes from the acerola cherry, a tropical fruit known as one of the richest natural sources of Ascorbic acid or Vitamin C. The fruit also contains powerful antioxidants and phytonutrients. Studies indicate that the fruit may help with supporting immune function, promoting collagen production, enhancing skin health, and protecting against oxidative stress.
- Papaya fruit powder: Papayas contain a good variety of beneficial compounds, including vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and antioxidants. They're known to contain high amounts of the antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E. Studies suggest that papaya fruit exhibits anti-inflammatory properties and can be beneficial in supporting digestion, promoting healthy skin, and wound healing.
- Pineapple fruit concentrate: Pineapples are known for their high contents of the enzyme bromelain, and vitamin C. Bromelain is a digestive enzyme with anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects. Aside from aiding in digestion, pineapples also support immune function and tissue healing.
- Bilberry fruit extract: Bilberry fruit extract is derived from the bilberry, a relative of the blueberry, and is rich in antioxidants called anthocyanins. Research suggests that bilberry fruit extract may support eye health, improve blood circulation, enhance cognitive function, and offer potential protection against certain chronic diseases.
- Beetroot powder: Beetroot powder is derived from the vibrant vegetable of the same name and is known for its high nitrate content. Nitrate converts to nitric oxide in the body, which supports cardiovascular health. Studies indicate that beetroot powder consumption may enhance exercise performance, reduce blood pressure, improve cognitive function, and promote detoxification.
- Rosehip fruit powder: Rosehip fruit powder is derived from the fruit of wild rose plants and is a rich source of vitamin C, antioxidants, and other beneficial compounds. There is some evidence to suggest that rosehip fruit powder may support joint health, enhance skin elasticity, promote immune function, and have potential anti-inflammatory effects.
- Carrot root powder: Carrot root powder is made from dried and ground carrots and is packed with beta-carotene, vitamins, minerals, and fibre. Studies indicate that carrot root powder consumption may support eye health, enhance immune function, promote healthy skin, and offer potential protection against certain cancers.
- Spinach leaf powder: Spinach is a leafy green vegetable that's packed with essential nutrients like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and iron, as well as antioxidants. Consuming spinach regularly helps promote eye health, improve cardiovascular health and sugar control, and also helps strengthen the bones.
- Cocoa bean polyphenol extract: Cocoa bean polyphenol extract contains powerful antioxidants, among several other beneficial compounds that have been shown to improve cardiovascular health, reduce inflammation, and enhance cognitive function (reducing the risk of neurodegenerative disease). Cocoa polyphenols can significantly improve blood flow and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Grape seed extract: Grape seed extract (GSE) is one of the best natural sources of compounds called proanthocyanidins, linked to supporting immune and antioxidant activities. Scientific studies have demonstrated that grape seed extract can promote heart health, improve blood circulation and collagen levels, and reduce oxidative stress, among its many other benefits.
- Green tea extract: Green tea is made by drying and grinding the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. It's well-known for its high content of polyphenols, particularly catechins. Research has shown that green tea extract has numerous health benefits, including promoting weight loss, reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and cardiovascular disease, and improving brain function.
- Licorice root powder: Licorice root powder comes from the roots of the Glycyrrhiza glabra plant and has been used for centuries in traditional medicine. It possesses anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. It is seen as beneficial for treating digestive problems, ulcers, coughs, and bacterial and viral infections. It's also seen to benefit in alleviating the symptoms of menopause.
- Lycium berry fruit extract: Lycium berry fruit extract, also known as goji berry extract, is developed from the fruits of the Lycium barbarum plant. Research suggests that Lycium berry fruit extracts may have anti-aging properties, support immune function, and protect against oxidative stress. It's also beneficial in treating conditions like nausea, headaches, dizziness, and abdominal pain.
- Ginger rhizome powder: Ginger rhizome powder is made from the root of the Zingiber officinale plant(the common ginger plant), known for its highly-prized for its medicinal properties. Ginger has demonstrated anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-nausea effects. Ginger is most frequently consumed in small quantities to alleviate constipation and other forms of digestive bloat. It also helps soothe sore throats, improve coughing, and speed up the recovery time for both.
- Slippery elm bark powder: Slippery elm bark powder has been used in traditional medicine to soothe and protect the digestive tract and as part of healing salves. Slippery elm bark powder can help alleviate symptoms of gastrointestinal disorders such as acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Kelp whole plant powder: Kelp whole plant powder is any of various species of seaweed that have been dried and ground into powder. Kelp is a rich source of iodine, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Studies have shown that kelp whole plant powder may support thyroid function, promote healthy weight management, and have anti-inflammatory properties.
Herbs and Antioxidants Blend
The AG1 Athletic Greens ingredients list contains a proprietary blend of herbs, plant extracts, and antioxidants. One scoop of athletic greens (that's 12g) contains 2732mg of the "Herbs and Antioxidants" blend.
The following is the complete ingredients list with health benefits:
- Alkaline pea protein isolate: Alkaline pea protein isolate is simply protein extracted from peas. It's a high-quality, easily digestible plant protein and contains essential amino acids. Pea protein isolate can help with supporting muscle growth, weight loss, and heart health.
- Citrus bioflavonoids extract: Citrus bioflavonoids are polyphenolic compounds founds in high quantities in citrus fruits like grapefruits, lemons, and oranges. The latest science suggests that citrus bioflavonoids have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. Their presence also helps with the increased absorption of Vitamin C. Citrus bioflavonoids help improve blood flow and reduce oxidative stress.
- Artichoke leaf extract: Artichoke leaf extract is a popular supplement derived from the leaves of the artichoke plant. It's a great source of protein, providing up to 5g of protein per cooked cup. It helps reduce cholesterol levels, may help regulate blood sugar, and improve digestive and liver health. It is also seen to have anti-cancer effects.
- Citric acid: Citric acid is a natural form of weak acid found in citrus fruits and is commonly used as a food additive. It supports energy metabolism and has antioxidant properties. Current research suggests that citric acid supplementation supports energy metabolism, mineral absorption, and the prevention or treatment of kidney stones.
- Rhodiola rosea root extract: Scientific studies have shown that Rhodiola rosea extract, as an adaptogen, can help reduce stress and depression, improve cognitive function, and enhance physical/exercise performance. It is known for its anti-cancer properties, and it may also benefit the management of diabetes.
- Rosemary leaf extract: Rosemary leaf extract's carnosic and rosmarinic acid compounds have powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. The extract is helpful for stress reduction and better sleep, improved memory and concentration, improved eye health, and improved kidney function. It's also seen to be beneficial in lowering the risk of asthma.
- Milk thistle seed extract: Milk thistle seed extract's major health benefits come from its plant compounds, known collectively as silymarin. It is known for its liver-protective effects and has been used in the management of liver diseases. Milk thistle extract is also known to help prevent age-related cognitive decline, protect your bones, improve the positive effects of cancer treatment, support milk production, treat acne, and optimize blood sugar levels.
- R,S-α-lipoic acid: R,S-α-lipoic acid is a naturally occurring antioxidant that plays a role in energy metabolism and has neuroprotective properties. It may also be potentially helpful in treating liver diseases because of its antioxidant properties.
- Ashwagandha root extract: Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) has been used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine for its adaptogenic and stress-reducing properties. Research studies have shown that Ashwagandha extract may help reduce stress, improve cognitive function, and enhance physical performance, among its many other benefits.
- Dandelion whole plant dry concentrate: Early research suggests that the dandelion plant may improve liver and gall bladder function. It's also seen as a mild appetite stimulant and can also help alleviate an upset stomach. It could potentially help in balancing blood sugar and cholesterol levels, but more research is needed in this area.
- Hawthorn berry extract: Hawthorn berry is a great source of polyphenols, so they could potentially help reduce the risk of cancer, slow down aging, reduce or prevent inflammation, lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and support good digestion. They may also potentially benefit in reducing anxiety and the treatment of heart failure but research on the benefits of hawthorn berry extract is still in its early days.
- Beta-glucans: Beta-glucans are soluble fibres that naturally occur in the cell walls of bacteria, fungi yeasts, and certain types of plants like oats, barley, and seaweed. They're known for supporting heart health, optimizing blood sugar levels, and stimulating the functioning of the immune system.
- Policosanol: Policosanol is a compound derived from sugarcane and beeswax, and has been studied for its potential lipid-lowering effects. Research suggests that policosanol may help reduce cholesterol levels, improve lipid profiles, and support cardiovascular health.
- Coenzyme Q-10 (CoQ10): Coenzyme Q-10 is a natural substance found in every cell of the body and plays a crucial role in energy production. It also acts as an antioxidant. CoQ10 supplementation may have potential benefits for heart health, mitochondrial function, and reducing oxidative stress, among its many benefits.
- Stevia leaf powder: Stevia leaf powder is derived from the leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana plant and is a natural, calorie-free sweetener. It has been used as an alternative to sugar and artificial sweeteners. Supplementation with stevia leaf powder helps in the management of diabetes and the promotion of a healthy weight.
- Vitamin K2: Vitamin K2, also known as menaquinone, is a fat-soluble vitamin that plays a crucial role in bone health and blood clotting. Research studies have suggested that vitamin K2 may help improve bone density, reduce the risk of fractures, and support cardiovascular health.
Digestive Enzyme and Super Mushroom Complex
The "Digestive Enzyme and Super Mushroom Complex" accounts for 154mg in a single serving of AG1 Athletic Greens powder. It contains the following ingredients:
- Astragalus root powder extract: Astragalus root is widely used in traditional Chinese medicine for its immune-enhancing properties. It is known to have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, and so is often used to treat colds and upper respiratory infections. It's also beneficial in lowering blood pressure, treating diabetes, protecting the liver, and wound healing.
- Bromelain digestive enzyme: Bromelain is a group of enzymes derived from the pineapple plant. According to the Natural Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, bromelain supports the reduction of pain and swelling, especially in the nose and sinuses, the gums, and other parts of the body after an injury or surgical intervention. It is also seen to be beneficial in treating osteoarthritis, cancer, digestive problems, and muscle soreness.
- Burdock root powder: Burdock root powder is known primarily for being a rich source of antioxidants and a natural therapeutic agent. It is seen to be helpful in removing toxins from the body, inhibiting certain types of cancer, and treating certain types of skin issues. There is also some evidence to suggest it could function as an aphrodisiac.
- Reishi mushroom powder: Reishi mushroom powder comes from the Ganoderma lucidum mushroom and has been widely used in traditional Asian medicine for its potential health benefits. Scientific studies have indicated that reishi mushroom extract may have immune-modulating, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant effects. It may help with controlling blood sugar levels. There is also some evidence to indicate that reishi mushrooms may be beneficial in reducing anxiety and depression.
- Shiitake mushroom powder: Shiitake mushroom powder is derived from the Lentinula edodes mushroom. Because of its anti-inflammatory benefits, it's beneficial for both skin and hair and is also linked to some extent with weight loss. Shiitake mushroom powder is also a great source of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients beneficial for the human body.
Dairy-Free Probiotics 7.2 billion CFU
The dairy-free probiotics blend accounts for 38mg of a single serving of the AG1 athletic greens supplement.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus is a probiotic bacterium that naturally inhabits the human gastrointestinal tract and has been extensively studied for its health benefits. Lactobacillus acidophilus supplementation may help reduce cholesterol levels, reduce and prevent diarrhoea, improve the symptoms of IBS, treat and prevent vaginal infections, promote weight loss, prevent and reduce flu and cold symptoms, prevent and reduce allergy symptoms, prevent and reduce eczema, and support gut health.
- Bifidobacterium bifidum is another probiotic bacterium commonly found in the human gut. Bifidobacterium bifidum supplementation may help support immune function, alleviate gastrointestinal disorders, and improve overall gut health.
The Athletic Greens AG1 formula is one of the most high-quality and nutrient-dense greens powders on the market. From the microalgae Spirulina and Chlorella to the nutrient-dense greens like Wheatgrass and Barley Grass, each of its 75 ingredients offers a unique set of health benefits.
By incorporating Athletics Green AG1 into your routine with just one convenient daily scoop, you can nourish your body with a large list of potentially beneficial ingredients, including nutrients, antioxidants, and phytochemicals that support immune health, reduce inflammation, provide digestive support, enhance cognitive performance, improve cardiovascular health, and much more.
Remember, before starting any new dietary supplement, it is always advisable to consult with your healthcare professional or registered dietitian, especially if you have any pre-existing health conditions to ensure it aligns with your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is Athletic Greens made up of?
AG1 Athletic Greens is made up of 75 whole-food sourced ingredients, including vitamins, minerals trace amounts of protein, a nutrient-dense superfoods complex, a herbs and antioxidant blend, a digestive and super mushroom complex, and dairy-free probiotics blend. It's a vegetarian/vegan dairy-free product that contains no GMOs, herbicides or pesticides, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, or colours. It's also NSF certified for sports.
Q2. Is Ashwagandha present in Athletic Greens?
Athletic Greens does contain ashwagandha as part of its herbs and antioxidants blend. The AG1 formula contains 75 ingredients in total, including superfoods, a digestive and super mushroom complex, and a dairy-free probiotics blend.
Q3. What are the side effects of Athletic Greens?
Some users have reported stomach upset, bloating, and diarrhoea after consuming Athletics Greens. Start with a small amount of Athletic Greens before going all in to pick up on potential problems. Several ingredients in the supplement (like adaptogens) may interact with your medications, so consult your physician before you start consuming the product if you have a medical condition.
Q4. Is Athletic Greens like a multivitamin?
Athletic Greens contains a complex blend of 75 high-quality ingredients that support multiple core areas of health, including immune health, energy, metabolic health, digestive health, focus, cognitive support, and hormones. While Athletic Greens includes a multivitamin and multimineral, it is not just a multivitamin supplement but rather a comprehensive nutrition and gut health support in one scoop.
Q5. Does Athletic Greens boost metabolism?
Athletic Greens is not marketed as a supplement that enhances metabolism. However, it contains a range of ingredients that support energy and metabolic health. For example, ingredients like magnesium, B vitamins, and adaptogens help support energy metabolism and fatigue reduction.
Furthermore, AG1 can be taken in the morning before breakfast as part of a healthy morning routine, which may help support overall energy levels throughout the day. While not specifically marketed as a metabolism booster, the combination of ingredients in AG1 can have potential benefits for metabolic health.