The Frank Green Cup - A Massive Player In The Reusable Coffee Cup Revolution!
Reuseable cups are a great way to improve your coffee's flavour, help the environment and save yourself some serious cash in the long run! Read on below as I quickly run you through all of the details surrounding one of the most popular reusable cups available - the Frank Green Coffee Cup
- Frank Green Cups: REVIEW
- What I Like
- What Could Be Improved
- Where to Buy Frank Green?
- Who...or What Is Frank Green?
- Frank Green Cup VS Keep Cup
Frank Green Coffee Cups - Review By Darcy | The Bircher Bar Founder & Owner
Frank Green has built out an impressive range of cups and water bottles over the last few years, incorporating some fun and exciting smart technology (such as their 'Cafe Pay' system) and some award-winning designs.
While they are probably most famous for their flagship range of reusable plastic 'smart cups', the new ceramic cups have impressed me most.
I think the original smart cups are generally well designed but as mentioned in previous coffee cup reviews, I try to steer clear of plastic coffee cups where possible so I was pretty happy when I came across the ceramic coffee cup options.
First and foremost, what I love about the ceramic cups are - your coffee stays hot! By combining a vacuum-sealed triple-walled design, the heat retention with the ceramic cup is great. And unlike plastic cups, nothing leaches into your coffee and alters the taste (or your body!).
It's a super simple cup to use with its single push-button top to open and close. Coffee flows fast and easy and when closed properly, the cup is amazingly spillproof and leakproof making it a great traveller. It also fits every cup holder I could find.
What I Like:
- Excellent heat retention - coffee and/or tea stays warm for ages (much better in the ceramic cups than the original)
- Fits all cupholders
- Easy to use - winner of numerous design awards for this point
- Leakproof - I've read a few reviews that say otherwise but I didn't have an issue. Just make sure you've got the lid on tight!
- A 12-month warranty on all parts
What Could Be Improved:
- The inside of the lid can be a bit fiddly to take apart and clean - once you've done it once or twice though you'll have the hang of it. Just test it and make sure you've put it back together properly before throwing it in your bag.
- One of the more expensive reusable coffee cups on the market, justified by the amount of design and engineering gone into it though.
- Plastic - even in the ceramic cups the lid is still plastic. It is BPA-free and the coffee doesn't sit on it and 'leach' anything from it so it still makes the cut in my eyes.
All in all, anything from the range of Frank Green cups will deliver a brilliantly designed reusable cup, but the ceramic cups are the picks in my opinion. They all look great, are healthier, will prevent many a spilt coffee and stand the test of time.
Where to Buy It?:
Frank Green cups are available at many great cafes throughout Australia and making their way to many other countries around the world.
That being said - I personally think Amazon is currently the best place you can get a hold of them for price and customer service.
We have a direct link to them with the big blue button at the top of this review or any of the banners throughout if you want to check them out.
Who...or What is Frank Green?:
Founded in Melbourne, Australia (a top contender for 'coffee capital of the world') - Frank Green was born of a desire to do better for the planet. Addressing the serious and ever-growing issue of disposable plastics and single-use coffee cups, Frank Green has produced a multi-award winning range of reusable coffee cups that are stylish, practical and indisposable!
Since it's beginnings Frank Green has picked up a bunch of awards in areas including design, business and eco principles. They are fast becoming one of Australia's (and the worlds) most popular and desirable reusable cups.
The key points to know about the Frank Green Ceramic Cup include:
- Triple-walled thermal insulation - retains heat or keeps liquids cold for up to 12 hours
- The drinking hole is designed for optimum liquid flow
- Clever one-handed, push-button operation opens and closes the spill-resistant lid
- Highly durable and ceramic lined
- Wide mouth for added customisability - think fruit, tea or ice cubes.
- Stain and odour resistant inner – taste your coffee and not your cup
- Comfortably fits in standard cup holders
- Recyclable at end of life
- Care Instructions: Base is not suitable for dishwasher, freezer or microwave. Handwash in warm soapy water and air dry.
Frank Green Cups vs Keep Cup:
We've already been over all the reason I love Frank Green Cups (and there's a lot of them!), but how do they measure up against other reusable coffee cups like Keep Cups you say? What makes them stand out? Well, I'm glad you asked!
Now don't get me wrong, I love Keep Cups, but for me, Frank Green Cups just pip them for the following reasons.
While Frank Green Cups and Keep Cups have a wide range of products available, for the purpose of this article I will be comparing their most popular products: Frank Green Cups original reusable cup vs Keep Cups glass reusable coffee cups.
While Frank Greens Cups are leak-proof, Keep Cups glass cups only claim to be "splash-proof", making them less suitable for travelling. Also, while the glass coffee cups are undeniably good looking, it does mean that they have a heat retention period of under one hour, so if you're looking for a coffee cup to chuck in your bag before a commute and drink once you're at work, these probably aren't the cups for you.
The use of the non-removable cork band on Keep Cups glass coffee cups means that they are not microwave or dishwasher safe. Also, there are many reviews claiming that the plastic lid on these coffee cups gives off a bad smell/taste even after multiple washes.
While Keep Cups glass coffee cups are technically cheaper than Frank Green Cups original reusable coffee cup, there is only a difference of 95 cents and when you take into account all the extras you get with Frank Green Cups, it doesn't seem like as good a deal! If you wanted to buy an equivalent product from Keep Cups, you're looking at it being more like $44, rather than the $34.95 Frank Green Cups cost.
Both products come with a 12-month guarantee.
Here are some quick answers to the most commonly asked question about Frank Green:
Are Frank Green Cups Dishwasher Safe?
The smart cup tap-to-pay and original plastic bases are dishwasher safe, as are the push-button plastic lid designs. The ceramic and stainless steel bases are not dishwasher safe.
Are Frank Green Cups Leak Proof / Spill Proof?
Yes, the Frank Green award-winning lid design is constructed to be leak and spill-proof. It does require some disassembly to clean at times so make sure you've put it back together properly and test it afterwards.
Can Frank Green Cups Be Microwaved?
No, Frank Green Cups and lids are generally not microwave-safe. The only exception is the original base.
Which Frank Green Cup Is The Best?
The best Frank Green Cup in my opinion is the ceramic cup for the many different reasons we have listed in this review!
Frank Green Alternatives:
If you wanted to explore a couple of other options to the Frank Green Cup, check out these 3 listed below.
All are also Australian-made from non-plastic materials, ticking all the boxes for health and sustainability that the Frank Green cup does.
With the founding mission of reducing disposable waste and cleaning plastic from the oceans, Joco has produced a super-high quality range of reusable glass cups.
2.) Keep Cup - Glass & Cork Edition (click here to check prices)
Founded in 2009, Keep Cup was one of the first company's in Australia to see the need for a reusable coffee cup!
- Press-fit lid: no leaks, easy to attach and drink from
- Natural cork band.
- Highly-durable tempered glass.
- Drafted vessel for easy pour
3.) Sttoke Ceramic Coffee Cup (click here to check prices)
The Gold Winner of the Good Design Awards, these are highly-rated and very well-reviewed reusable cups.
- Handmade in Melbourne, Australia
- Double-wall insulated for 3 hours hot and 6 hours cold
- Spill-proof and shatter-proof
- Great alternative to plasticware
Thanks From The Bircher Bar!
I hope you've enjoyed this review and found it helpful! 😊
If you have any more questions at all, don't hesitate to send us an email - always happy to help out.
Again, through clicking the blue button at the top of this page, you will be taken to our recommended supplier and the best pricing and we can currently find for this product.
We also make a small commission on that link at no extra cost for you which enables us to keep our site going and you to get the best deal out there - win/win for all!
Finally, we are lucky enough to have negotiated some incredible coupon codes with our favourite brands and producers - these are some of the biggest discounts on the market. If you'd like to grab these codes, simply join our email list via the link at the top of the page.
Thanks so much for the support!