SuperFeast Schizandra - the Beauty Berry for Skin and Ageing:
Celebrated around the world for thousands of years due to its adaptogenic and anti-ageing powers, Schizandra is a simple and powerful addition to your daily health routine. Read on to find out more.
Table Of Contents:
- What I like about SuperFeast Schizandra Berry
- What I think could be improved
- Where to buy SuperFeast Schizandra
- Schizandra health benefits
- Customer Reviews
- Any alternatives I think are worth considering
SuperFeast Schizandra Berry Review By Darcy - Bircher Bar Founder & Owner:
As with dried Schizandra Berry, the SuperFeast powder extract also has a beautiful citrus style flavour with bitter and peppery after tones. I've put a couple of great recipes below but as per the SuperFeast recommendation, you can simply stir 1 tsp in a glass of warm water each morning for a simple 'tonic tea' (with a flavour much like warm lemon water). This is is how I usually take it.
What I Like:
As a scientist myself, I like to see both anecdotal and scientific evidence when discussing the health and medicinal benefits of any product. Schizandra is one of the most important herbs in Traditional Chinese Medicine AND is being recognised in many modern studies for its medicinal benefits as well. I also like that it's a great 'bang for your buck' supplement as aside from being widely recognised for its skin, beauty and anti-ageing benefits, it is also shown to have positive effects on lung health, nervous system, libido and many other areas (discussed in more detail below).
What I Think Could Be Improved:
Not so much an improvement but with quite a powerful peppery/citrus flavour - people seem to either love or hate the flavour. Personally, I love lemons so it's an easy one for me, if you're not so sold on sour, buy a small jar to start and see how you go.
WHERE TO BUY IT?
Click the big blue button at the top of this page or any of the banners to head directly to the SuperFeast website and make an order!
Before you do that, though...I mentioned that we have a special offer for our readers – all you need to do is join our email list and you’ll receive a code for a minimum of 15% off your entire order with SuperFeast.
Alternatively, if you’d prefer to buy in person, you can head over to their website and search for your nearest stockist.
What is Schizandra?:
Schizandra berry (or Schisandra as it's also known) is the fruit from the plant Schisandra Chinensis and is one of the top anti-ageing herbs of the Taoist tonic system. Called Wu Wei Zi ('Fruit of Five Flavours') in Chinese, Schizandra is extremely flavourful and incorporates the 5 major flavours (sour, salty, bitter, sweet and pungent).
According to traditional Chinese medicine, schizandra is unique in that it enters into all five major organs and 12 meridians, creating radiance from within. The legend of schizandra emerged when the Emperor, acting on a wise herbalists’ instructions, gave the berry to his concubines to help them maintain a youthful, radiant complexion!
Health Benefits of Schizandra:
While the ancient lore of this tonic herb is great, its incredible adaptogenic properties are only now being recognised by modern science (read here), who note its capacity to stabilise the nervous system, enhance brain function, improve coordination and boost the immune system.
What is Schizandra Good For?:
- Restoring the Yin Jing of the kidneys
- Liver cleansing
- Increasing circulation
- Lung health
- Libido improvement
- Preventing early ageing
- Aiding resistance to general disease and stress
- Regulating blood sugar and blood pressure
As a powerful adaptogen, Schizandra is commonly used in the treatment of liver diseases (such as hepatitis) as it's known to stimulate enzymes that promote healthy liver cell growth and regeneration.
How to Take Schizandra:
Schizandra is an easy one to take - you can simply stir into hot water for a lemony tonic tea or step it up with this easy recipe below.
Schizandra Berry Tea:
For a quick and easy warming pot of schizandra tea, combine the following ingredients in a small teapot and let steep for 4 minutes before drinking.
- 2 cups of hot filtered water
- 1 tsp of Schizandra Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Astragalus Powder
- 1/4 tsp of Licorice Root Pieces
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger root - finely sliced
Start with ¼ - ½ tsp daily. Stir into hot water or plant milk for an instant tonic tea. Works well in hot or cold drinks, broths and meals.
Can I mix my herbs together?:
Yep! Each SuperFeast tonic herb has different benefits and ways in which they aid the body and so, in this regard, they are well suited to be taken in combinations that align with your individual needs.
How long will my jar last?:
How long your jar lasts depends on the amount you are taking. In a 100g jar, there are approximately 50 1/2 teaspoon servings, if you are taking more or less then the number of servings will change accordingly.
Can I take Schizandra while pregnant/breastfeeding?:
Schizandra is not recommended to be taken during pregnancy/breastfeeding as it influences the body's detox pathways, especially through the liver. Mobilizing toxicity while breastfeeding is not ideal.
With nothing but 5 stars, SuperFeast's Schizandra reviews speak for themselves! Here's a few of my faves:
"My skin is radiant, clear and soft again.
Fantastic service. A genuinely lovely company who cares about the environment, their customers and themselves" - Sarah G
- "Always feel a lift from this and currently doing 100 days of Schizandra, finishing the day after Christmas! Although by itself i find the taste very strong, it mixes well with other SuperFeast products, and I either add it to my morning porridge or have a drink mid morning that includes Schizandra. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!" - Stephanie C
- "I can't start my day without my warm water Superfeast shiz, msm and lemon tonic. Fills my tummy with warmth, goodness before my morning mediation. I am then full of energy start my day. Being dairy intolerant my nails have always been brittle. They are now super strong and long naturally, my skin is softer, smoother, plump & glowing both my face and hands. At the age of 43 the signs of ageing are starting to show. I feel with these herbs they are slowing down the process, if not reversing. the benefits are clear. Beauty comes from within." - Georgia D
Teelixir is another one of my favourite suppliers of medicinal mushrooms. Their Schizandra Berry is known to strengthen the whole body, nourish and preserve the skin, promote calmness and reduce stress. Sourced using the ancient Di Dao philosophy, Teelixirs Schizandra contains no "fillers", just 100% Wildcrafted Schizandra Berry Plant Extract.
If you love Schizandra for its beautifying qualities, then you'll probably love Beauty Blend as well! Containing wild and semi-wild schizandra, semi-wild goji berry, and semi-wild longan berry extract powders and semi-wild micro-ground pearl powder, Beauty Blend brings vitality to skin, hair, nails and fascia.