If you've been looking for the perfect recipe to whip up for mum this Mother's Day or simply want to up your dessert game, look no further than this incredible Beetroot Red Velvet Self-Saucing Pudding!
Lovingly crafted by the brilliant Dayna from Hoskins Hens, this little number combines the beautiful chocolatey-notes you'd expect from a self-saucing pudding with the spices, colour and aroma of our all-natural Spiced Beetroot Mix.
With an amazing repertoire of original recipes and gathering praise from some of Australia's leading recipe websites, Hoskins Hens is a must-see for anyone interested in expanding their cooking, baking and general recipe knowledge.
Dayna is also a proud Bircher Bar ambassador and has kindly allowed us to repost this recipe for you guys below. I'd definitely recommend heading over to her site to checkout the original recipe post here, and explore some of the other amazing creations she has put together too.
SPICED BEETROOT RED VELVET SELF SAUCING PUDDING
PREP TIME: 15 MCOOK TIME: 45 MTOTAL TIME: 60 M
Author: Dayna Hoskin
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp red food colouring
- 2tbsp The Bircher Bar Spiced Beetroot Mix Latte Mix
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- Grease pie dish thoroughly and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place white sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl, then sift in plain flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- Use a whisk to mix the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Create a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk, vegetable oil and food colouring. Bring ingredients together with a spatula until your cake batter is an even colour and texture.
- Scrape the cake batter out into your pre-prepared pie dish and use your spatula to gently press the batter out the edges and smooth it over evenly.
- Combine brown sugar and Spiced Beetroot Mix in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk until evenly combined.
- Sprinkle the entire beetroot mixture evenly over the surface of your cake batter.
- Boil the kettle, then take a large dessert spoon, turn it upside down and slowly pour 1 1/2 cups of boiling water over the beetroot mix.
- Move to the oven to bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until your cake is dry and spongy all the way to the centre.
- Serve warm with a sprinkle of cocoa powder and a scoop of ice-cream
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Pie Dish
- Baking Tray
- Large Bowl
DAYNA'S TOP TIPS FOR MASTERING THIS BAKE
#1) It’s important to slowly pour the boiling water over the back of a spoon to ensure it lands on the pudding gently and sits on top of the batter. As the pudding cooks, the sauce will start to sink.
#2) That's it, seriously it's an easy recipe!
Again, huge thanks to Dayna and Hoskins Hens for putting this one together! Get on it and give it a go for yourself - we'd love to see how it goes and what you think of it!
Leave your comments below! 😊👌